DMCA here, there, and everywhere…
In this Episode:
- Robert Allen joins us to further clarify the Turtles’ case history.
- Sony Hack
- Ex-employees suing over hack
- The EU Alters VAT Tax Regulations as Applied to Digital Product Sales
- DMCA Takedown Cases
- Google Handled 75% more DMCA takedowns in 2014 than in 2013
- Monkey Selfie followup
- Pinterest and Imgur
- Lionsgate targets Reddit
- After Announcing YouTube Music Key, YouTube Stands to Lose 20,000 Songs
- New Canadian Takedown Notices are abused
Entertainment Law Update is brought to you by Clio, the best way to manage your practice online. Clio allows you to manage your matters, clients, time, bills, trust accounts and more all through a a secure, easy-to-use, web-based interface. For a free 30-day trial and 25% off your first 6 months of Clio, sign up at. www.goclio.com and enter promotional code [ENTLAW]” Or, just visit https://entertainmentlawupdate.com/clio
Robert Allen joins us to further clarify the Turtles’ case history.
We are joined for this episode by Attorney Robert Allen, who practices in Los Angeles, and represented the plaintiffs in the Turtles’ case(s) we’ve recently reported on.
THB Added: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/world/asia/nsa-tapped-into-north-korean-networks-before-sony-attack-officials-say.html
Ex-employees suing over hack
The EU Alters VAT Tax Regulations as Applied to Digital Product Sales
UK VAT Moss one stop link – https://www.gov.uk/register-and-use-the-vat-mini-one-stop-shop
DMCA Takedown Cases
Google Handled 75% more DMCA takedowns in 2014 than in 2013
- Google, processes most DMCA notices in a matter of hours, despite receiving one million requests per day and up to 11.6 million takedowns in a week.
Monkey Selfie followup
- Public Knowledge responded (https://www.publicknowledge.org/news-blog/blogs/monkey-selfie-crying-wolf) and refuses to take down the blogpost, citing the new Copyright Office manual.
Pinterest and Imgur
Lionsgate targets Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/BestOfStreamingVideo/comments/2ogxor/lionsgate_targets_reddit_over_christmas_movie/ – link on reddit about fans discussing the DMCA takedowns and suggesting everyone keep the page/link on the “down low” and not attract attention.